× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Diary of a Med Student

More
8 years 10 months ago #72854 by sunshine217
Ok! Finished Family medicine last week and overall enjoyed my experience. So I guess I'll add that to my list too, lol. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #72855 by sunshine217
Hello all!

I started Peds this month! First off, I have to say that from orientation, I gather this will be the most intense rotation I have done yet. There are so many extra assignments to do, it's a little annoying to tell the truth.

BUT, I am in the NICU for 2 weeks and love it so far! Those babies are so tiny and cute. And I love to see the changes in them (in my "vast" experience of 4 days,lol). My staff is super nice as well as entertaining (he tells jokes and stories,lol). I am learning so much, so quickly. I like my resident as well, although only 2 of them are Peds and the others are MPeds. I feel so lucky to have a nice team. (I've been worried after hearing of some other students bad experiences.)

Maybe this is it!?! I hope I continue to like peds....

I haven't mentioned this previously, but since I was a little girl, I planned to do pediatrics, sub-specializing in cardiology, based on a childhood experience. But, I've been trying to me open-minded; because my desire for peds was not based on any clinician situational experiences.

If I end up not liking Peds when I get to clinics and wards, I'll be lost because I have liked everything else I have done this year as well, with OB/GYN topping the list---how would I choose?....

More
8 years 9 months ago #73213 by sunshine217
Well, now I am in the pediatric clinics for two weeks, which are enjoyable, but not nearly as much fun at the NICU. There is not much autonomy in the clinics...I do not even see patients by myself. It's strange going from doing everything, including A/P and having my plan actually used (FM)...to just shadowing basically. I also notice the peds residents have less autonomy than medicine residents (or at least in clinics so far). I hope this is not a general theme in peds residency.
Some clinics are better than others. Basically, if the staff takes the time to teach me something, I am generally happy, because I feel like I am not wasting my time just standing around. :)

Other than that, I am a little under the weather...I have a slight cold it seems. Hopefully, it will resolve soon.

Oh, and I also spent last weekend visiting a friend out of state (I flew there for the weekend because she is about to finish up her masters and I hadn't had the chance to fly out to see her yet). So, that was a lot of fun!!! And I started thinking that maybe I would like to move away for residency (I previously thought I would just stay at my home institution)....going away could be a new adventure! :)

Lastly, in baby news, no baby yet :(

More
8 years 9 months ago #73418 by sunshine217
Still here! On the in-patient service now, general peds team. I am having a lot of fun, a lot of hours-but enjoying myself! I had to work the weekend so I'll be on 12 days; but, then I'll have next weekend off....to study.

~Love seeing kids get better, and smile~

More
8 years 8 months ago #73603 by sunshine217
well, going to finish my peds rotation this week...and then the test :-0 I am sad to say that this past week has not been enjoyable...I'm doing heme/onc, it's long hours, sad times, and my team is not particularly helpful all the time.....

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive...and not let the last bit of negativity characterize my whole rotation....

More
8 years 8 months ago #73841 by sunshine217
Started ortho ped surgery this past week. It's pretty cool, especially when they let me do something in the surgery.

We had a residency planning lecture this past week too...and man, there is a lot to do for 4th year and I feel very behind. I started working on my CV...and have a few people in mind to get LOR from. I guess that will be this weeks goal.

Other than that, Easter was ok...pretty good weekend, but then in-law drama at the end. I suppose it will always be an issue, trying to please everyone.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!