× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

barefootmoses's journal

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #72179 by barefootmoses
So I figured I'd try to start this before I actually started med school, that way all the background info would be done and I wouldn't waste time on it then. I'm 25, been married since I was 20. Graduated in 06 as an RN, and have been working full time ever since. I began premed prereqs in Jan of 07 and have been attending school year round since then. Finished prereqs in August and decided to pursue a Master's in Biomedical Sciences while I was preparing for MCAT and waiting for application time. I took MCAT in May of this year (09), and in June we found out we were expecting a baby. So instead of spreading the remaining classes out, I had to take 12 hours this semester, while working full time as a nurse. I got accepted into the instate school here where we live, as long as I pass these classes I'm currently taking (finals are over the next two weeks!) Although we were not planning on getting pregnant before med school, God's timing is perfect. Our little boy is due in Feb, and I think I'm going to quit my job as a nurse from Feb until August, when med school will start. So I'll have six months home with him, which is way more than I ever expected to have. I'm a little nervous about adjusting to a life without work and school, but am trusting that God will help me and I will adore spending so much time with our little guy.
Hopefully anyone who is a nontraditional premed will be encouraged- it is so doable. At least so far! :)
Less historical posts in the future. Just introducing myself for now.

Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #72301 by barefootmoses
So I took my finals today! Had gross at 8 and neuro at 11- poor planning on someone's part. I'm hoping i did okay, but to be honest i was completely unprepared. there's just so much going on with the pregnancy, shower, Christmas, and everything else. i sorta felt like i was just winging the tests. so we'll see!

i'm gonna try to go by the school and check the posted grades tomorrow night after work. after looking at the 50 question gross test and only being confident of about 5 answers, i took a bathroom /prayer break. i told God that since i obviously didn't know what i was doing He would have to help me if i am going to pass these classes and stay in the 2010 class. if not, i'll just have to trust it was meant to be that way... we'll see tomorrow hopefully!

More
10 years 2 months ago #72337 by barefootmoses
Well, I made B's in both classes! I told some friends it was only bc God changed my answers. ;) I seriously don't know how it happened. When I registered for these classes my advisor basically told me I'd have to quit my job or I'd ruin my GPA. But it worked out!
Sometimes, I feel like an intellectual poser. Regardless, I'm so grateful to be done with classes until May. Now to focus on the baby for a little while. Oh, and we may have finally found a name; a good thing considering I'm 33 weeks. Lawton. Maybe. We'll see.

More
9 years 8 months ago #74811 by barefootmoses
wow! so funny to read those posts now!
gabriel van was born feb 13, weighing 8lb 8oz. he's four months old now and 16 1/2 lbs. He is absolutely wonderful.
I had no idea how much children sucked you in!! I want to be with him every second. I've had several momentary breakdowns about having to leave him when school starts in august. I really think I could be a stay at home mom! I just love him so much and don't want anything to happen to this beautiful bond I feel w him. Of course, I know that the only way to ensure protection over this precious relationship is to give it to God and trust Him w it- which in my situation means being obedient to the calling to be a doctor and trust God will take care of Gabe (and me!!) while I'm at school/work.
I have been praying constantly about this since I fell in love w the little chubbs and am beginning to get sorta excited about classes. I know I'll have to adjust and I anticipate I'll feel sorta guilty if I enjoy class, but I'm trusting God to work all that out as well.
Being a mom is absolute perfection.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!