× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Copious Amounts of Coffee

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #72929 by LessInteresting
Hello, ladies! It's 1:42 AM, and I put the ol' Physics homework to rest for now. I'm just about ready to retire for the evening, even though I have much more that I could study. I'm praying that my little ones will let me have some study time tomorrow. I suppose an introduction is in order.

I am a 22 year old pre-med student. I graduated with a generic Bachelor's degree in Spring '09 and decided I wanted to be a doctor so badly that I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Let me back up a few pages. I've been married for nearly four years; I got married between my freshman and sophomore year. I had my first child, a girl, during my junior year and was pregnant with my second when I graduated (he's 3 months old now, and my daughter is almost 2). I didn't believe that I could be a doctor and be an involved mother. But, thanks to blogs, this website, and other sources, I have come to realize that it can be done, and it can be done well. There's more to the story, but I can't say that it's very intriguing, and I suppose that it will all unfold as I write this diary. I don't want to overwhelm you with information, but I think you get the general idea.

I am also a photographer. Kind of. I'm just starting out (and there's a long story behind that, too). I haven't officially filed my paperwork, so I can't legally charge people yet. Plus, most of my clients are people I know personally, and I don't have the heart to charge. I love photography and graphic design, but I can't see that being my main gig forever. I just want to do it while I'm in school and as a hobby in later years.

Let's see, what else?? I'm planning to take the MCAT and apply to med school in 2011. We'll see how that goes. With the kids and with a husband who is still in college, I just have to play things by ear. What sets us (on mommd) apart from other future MDs is that we have our families/future families to think about. We can't act solely in our own self-interest, because we have so many other people relying on our support. But we CAN have it all, and we CAN do it all because they support us in turn. And because we can drink copious amounts of coffee. Who needs sleep anyway?
Last Edit: 10 years 1 week ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 days ago #73058 by LessInteresting
I aced my first physics test :) Woohoo! The day of the test, I was so nervous it made me nauseous. Like, take-a-pregnancy-test-in-the-Walmart-bathroom nervous. But it was negative. At this point in my life, with two kids so close together, my policy is this: the number of children should equal the number of hands. If I grow a third hand, I'll have a third baby.

More
9 years 11 months ago #73445 by LessInteresting
I am currently watching my daughter spin in circles, chanting, "Pin in circles!" I may join her later!

At the beginning of the semester, I had no expectation of financial aid. I was just going to take what classes I could afford and apply for Pell grants, as well. Then, the school granted me one last semester of an 8-semester scholarship that I'd had. A couple of weeks ago, I logged onto my school website to find that I owed several grand. They decided to take back the scholarship (not for disciplinary reasons - they are just counting the semester that I took medical leave as one of my 8 semesters). Here's the kicker - I signed on for extra classes thinking that I had the scholarship, and it's too late to drop for a refund. I'm pretty upset, to say the least. My family is only slightly above the poverty line. I'm not complaining, because we have a very good quality of life. After all, this is the life we've chosen because we wanted me to stay at home with the children while they were young. Plus, my husband is still in college. We do fine, but we just don't have thousands of dollars to shell out at any given time. And I had money saved up to pay for school, but remember -- I signed on for extra classes, thinking I had a scholarship!

I don't know if it's too late to apply for a Pell grant or not. They're currently deciding what they can do for me, as far as a tuition waiver or something. This is their mistake. Basically, they said, "Here, kid, do you want some ice cream?" And I said, "You bet I would!" I took a few bites, and they said, "Nevermind. You can't have this ice cream. We were mistaken. You're going to have to give it back."

And, of course, the lady that is supposed to help me figure this out is nearly impossible to get a hold of. It always works that way! *sigh* College bureaucracy - you gotta love it!

I know things will be okay. I believe that God will take care of us, and that we will want for nothing. In my life, there have been times of abundance and times of scarcity. (Right now, we're in "Don't spend any money until pay-day" mode.) It's just another obstacle.

More
9 years 11 months ago #73491 by LessInteresting
No news about the financial aid decision from my university. I'm prepared to handle it, no matter the outcome. I would like to know, however, what it is that I need to be handling.

Things continue to go well in school.

My professor came over to me in lab today and congratulated me on the highest score on the midterm. I got an A on the written part, but did average (you know what I mean, but am too ashamed to admit) on the practical. It was for stupid, simple things, like forgetting calibrations.

My daughter thinks my lab manuals are coloring books. Her beautiful artwork pervades both of them. Luckily, it's all erasable! She tore a page of Physics homework out of my binder and used it as a blanket for her dolly.

More evidence that I'm a student-parent...I went to class with a spit up stain on my shirt. Nice!

More
9 years 10 months ago #74026 by LessInteresting
I started a fitness boot camp, and I really have been enjoying it. Except for the evil, evil shin splints. At least, that's what I think it is...blinding pain in the legs from knee to ankle that makes it hard to stand, let alone do a forward lunge. I got some super supportive shoes...they helped the first time I used them, but not the second time.

I've been told I can push through it, but WOW...easier said than done. I had a baby six months ago, and I'm nursing. My husband thinks that may be why it's hitting me so hard because I'm sure I don't get enough calcium. Plus, my body is still slightly wonked out from 2 pregnancies in the last 2 years. I try to push through, but the pain! Oh the pain! It makes me sad because I know I can do the workout, but my shins are hindering me! I guess I'll keep icing, stretching, popping Ibuprofen, and wearing orthotics!

Any tips or advice are much appreciated.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!