× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

resident mom of 2

More
9 years 6 months ago #75304 by annie501
I have been reading on this forum for a while, and I love the inspirational stories, debates, and discussions on this message board. I thought that I would share my story too.

I am Annie, a 5th year psychiatry resident. I have been married for almost three years to my husband, an anesthesia resident, and we have 2 little boys ages 2 and 8 months.
I started lurking on this board because I have been feeling a little overwhelmed. I was never one who felt like medicine was my calling in life, and I frequently wonder if I made the right decision. I was accepted into a BS/MD program out of high school. I was planning on going to school there anyway and figured I could change my mind if I didn't want to go to medical school when I finished the BS. Well, I finished undergraduate and medical school was there. I never felt in love with it. Well, I take that back. I never fell in love with the parts of it I thought I was supposed to love. I will tell you what I do love though. I love to hear people's stories. As a med 1, I talked with the family members of the people who donated their bodies to our anatomy labs. I started shadowing an FP and talked with a woman about why she ate so much she was now wheelchair bound, and another about what it felt like to have her breasts removed and how her arm would swell periodically. It really is amazing, even as a first year medical student, the access that white coat allows you. It opens up an instant connection between strangers.
Well, it looks like this diary will be long and rambling. Thank you for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!