× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

married momof3 (teens) physician2014

More
4 years 10 months ago #92131 by TexasRose
It's been a long time. Too long. For the past 2 1/2 years I've been in a private practice as an employed physician. Frankly, it was pretty miserable. Thus, I never felt inspired to write. I didn't feel like I had much that was good or worthwhile to say. The practice was a bad fit, personality-wise, for me.

Recently, I started a new job, opening a new practice for a larger multi-specialty organization. What an amazing difference! Suddenly I'm writing again. I have things I want to say. I have ideas I want to share. Who knew that the mood or personality of your employing company could have such a profound effect?

I wrote almost nothing for 2 1/2 years. In the past few weeks I've written 5 medical blogs and been briefly interviewed on a live newscast. All because I had the energy and drive to say "yes" when the opportunity presented itself!

So much has changed. So much I want to say.

Those who have read my previous blogs might remember I took up running while in med school. (ok, ok. I ran a couple of marathons!) Well, I've discovered a new love in the past 2 1/2 years and it is Powerlifting. Don't laugh! I'm a much better lifter than I ever was a runner. Turns out I'm not very fast, but pretty darn strong for a woman over 40. ;)

My kids? Still got 'em. Daughter is a sophomore in college. Yes, I did just say that. Boys are Juniors in high school. You know what I have rarely, if ever, seen? A mother blogging about parenting teens! So many blogs about motherhood with infants and toddlers and elementary school kids. Blogs of breastfeeding babies and getting toddlers to eat veggies and craft projects and zoo outings with school-age kids. Zilch about teens. I'm here to tell you, it's not all bad! It ain't easy, by any stretch of the imagination. And it's very far from perfect. But it's motherhood and we should talk about it and support one another through this phase too. :)

Yup, still married. I decided long ago that he was a keeper. That's not all sunshine and roses either, but also worth the effort.

And yes, I have plenty to vent about too. But not today. Today I want to be happy that I am moved to write again, that I am taking joy in the practice of medicine again, that I have the opportunity to have a voice in the way I practice and that life has turned a corner.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #92174 by TexasRose
My first job out of residency was an employed position at a private practice. The physician/owner was the only one with any financial stake and the one who made all the decisions. I would not necessarily suggest such an arrangement unless you are very comfortable with the personality of the leader, don't care to make big decisions about practice management and are okay with going along with the ride.

Sadly, I am not one of those people.

So I joined a large multispecialty practice with several locations and am helping them open a new location. The perks include having a say in my own schedule, having a voice in the running of the clinic, having ownership (if you will) of my own patients and not having a boss sitting over my shoulder. All of which are HUGE perks, in my opinion. I also found an organization with a great culture, very positive and oriented towards helping everyone succeed and focused on quality patient care. For the first year or two, while I'm building my practice, I have a guaranteed salary.

There are drawbacks. I have a lot to learn about managing people. I've never had a job where I had a leadership position and I've never been the one who makes the decisions about how to set up the practice, build the schedules, room the patients, etc. It's a lot to take on!

In addition to that new responsibility, I'm working far more hours than I was the past couple of years. I was employed part time and worked 3-4 days/week at my last job. Now I'm full time and covering office hours from 8am-7pm M-F. Essentially, I'm working close to 10hours 2-3 days a week. Those are clinic open hours, by the way. We're not very busy yet, so I don't have to spend much time outside of that doing charting and all. Once we get busy, well, I hope I'll be able to go back to 40hr/week of clinical time.

Thought I would write more this morning, but it's almost time to run one of the boys over to his Solo & Ensemble competition and then I'm supposed to get my butt in the gym to lift today. I'd rather be on the couch watching the Olympics! ;)

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #92658 by TexasRose
Weird mom thing has happened to me recently. As our kids have been growing up, we've always given them responsibilities and chores. They've been doing their own laundry since probably around age 10. (since I was in medical training at the time, little things like laundry were a big deal!) For years we've gone through the daily ordeal of "Please do the dishes. Did you feed the cats? Whose turn is it to take out the trash?" No amount of begging, pleading, or punishing made it any less work to stay on top of them about the chores. As they got older, it got even harder. "But mom, I have tons of homework to do and I only got 6hrs of sleep last night because band practice went late and I had 2 papers to write! Can't the dishes wait until morning?" In the morning, they would inevitably not get done.

So sometime last month I just got tired of it. I had gotten into the routine of feeding the cats myself and I was sick of looking at dirty dishes. So I started doing them every day. Unload in the morning before leaving for work and start the dishwasher before going to bed at night. 10 min here, 7 min there. Voila! Clean kitchen! Every. Single. Morning. It's like a revelation.

And guess what? Sometimes the boys just randomly offer to help with stuff and put away their own dishes without my asking. Weird. It's like not nagging suddenly made it not a chore. And I'm happier because my kitchen is clean when I walk out at 6am to start the coffee. *cue angels singing*

I know this isn't the standard way to do things, but when I think about all the criticism I got as a teen for not doing chores right, or thoroughly enough or soon enough, I wonder how much less stress there would have been if my mom had made the same decision. And I think maybe my kids will still leave home knowing how to clean up after themselves. ;)

Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!