× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Are there any "part-time" PGY-1 internships?

4 years 2 weeks ago #92415 by streampaw
I honestly would rather complete PGY-1 in TWO years while working 40 hours a week, rather than in one year while working 80 hours a week.
Are there any part time internships out there?

If there are, how would that affect the rest of my residency? I am interested in dermatology residency, which I want to do full-time, since derm residents work the regular 40 hour weeks, not 80. I just want to be able to do the "80 hour intern year" part time (40 hours a week for two years).

Are there any part time intern years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 weeks ago #92420 by newmommdphd
No. Intern years are almost never part time. Residencies that are part time after year 1 are a month on, a month off... Thats what part time means. When you are on, you are fully on. You have to work the full 80 hours when you are on service because of call requirements and continuity of patient care. You can't just leave after 8 hours a day; the hospital work day is longer than that. If you are not comfortable working more than 40 hours per week, residency may not be for you.... Even in fields like Derm people work much more than that in the first couple years of residency.

4 years 2 weeks ago #92421 by newmommdphd
As an addendum... Residency is way more than a full time commitment. It's not just 60-80hrs per week, realistically, but also studying for boards, reading, paperwork, etc outside those hours. Don't do residency if you're not comfortable working very hard... And I would not choose Derm for the lifestyle alone. Derm programs can see that in an applicant a mile away and are likely to reject someone who has that reason. Derm is a very competitive field and you have to have stellar grades, board scores, etc, all of which require extremely hard work beforehand...

4 years 2 weeks ago #92424 by streampaw
Interesting. The reason I am asking is because I am not sure when to plan to have a baby. I don't think it's very healthy to be working 80 hour weeks while being pregnant, as studies show that women who work more than 25 hours per week on their feet while pregnant have smaller babies which can sometimes lead to complications. Obviously, I am not going to tone it down to 25 hours per week, but I would love it if the intern year is no more than 40-50 hours per week, so that at least I would be able to get some rest. But honestly, if it's that brutal, I don't know when to have a baby. Maybe in the beginning of fourth year of medical school, so that I can breastfeed it for at least 9-10 months before starting intern year, and then the dad will be a stay at home dad while I do intern year?

Because it seems that breastfeeding during intern year is unlikely.... has anyone had experience with breastfeeding during intern year? I just really need to plan this whole thing out, as I don't want to end up regretting any of my choices. I really don't want to put off having children, because my mom put off having kids after she had me, and then she had infertility issues and wasn't able to conceive a second child. I don't want to end up like that, I want to have a large family of 3 or 4 kids. My boyfriend said that he is willing to be a stay at home dad while I am in med school and residency, and maybe even I am an attending. (and obviously we will get married and stuff before having kids).

But also, what about being pregnant during third year? Wouldn't that be hard as well? How many hours per week are you working during third year of medical school?

ahh so many decisions to make..

4 years 2 weeks ago #92427 by tr_
If you're not in med school yet, why don't you plan to have the baby in your first year? Studying isn't very physically taxing, and it's a lot easier to arrange part-time/flex-time options for the preclinical years (MS1 and 2) than for the major clinical year (MS3).

Assuming you are going into a 'family-friendly' residency program where the hours are manageable after the intern year, the two really bad years of medical education are 3rd year of med school and intern year of residency.

If you have a baby early in the preclinical years, you could do those years when your child is a toddler/preschooler (it's easier for dad or nonparent to do caregiving at that age than in infancy imo). You could then have a second child later in residency when the hours are less demanding.

I'd echo newmommdphd that you can't count on getting into a derm residency, and in order to get into one you would need to put in more hours in med school than it sounds like you want to. Successful derm applicants typically have not only stellar grades/boards, but also a lot of derm-related research or other extracurriculars, which are hard to fit in when you also have family responsibilities in med school.

I'd also say that pregnancy is really the least demanding part of parenthood. Barring medical complications (here's hoping you don't have any), it's intensely uncomfortable but at least the only person adversely affected is you. Personally I'd advise loading harder rotations into pregnancy in order to get easier rotations when you actually have an infant to care for.

4 years 2 weeks ago #92429 by English
Ha, ha, streampaw--- you are posting all over this website!! I guess as a physician I would tell you to maybe relax a little bit. I don't mean that at all in a bad way, but you are planning a lot of stuff without really knowing how it will work it. I mean it's great to have plans, but sometimes it's not really black or white-- meaning sometimes we don't get pregnant when we want to or sometimes get pregnant when we don't want to.

I would agree with everyone else that if you are looking for a 40 hr work week then quit medicine now! You can create 40 hr work weeks when you are an attending but beyond that your schedule often is not in your control early in training. Also if Derm is what you want to do then you need to work your butt off while in med school. You need stellar grades, board scores, research, and maybe some connections. I personally have never met a derm resident who had kids in med school-- that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Most derm residents (at least I knew) started their families in the latter years of residency. Also derm internships are transitional internships and some of them are cake walks especially if in cushy places but still they require medicine and surgical months where the hours are long. Plus you need to be a good doctor and that is why the training is important.

I understand your worries, but I really am not sure where you are getting your info about 25 hrs/wk for a healthy pregnancy. I worked 50+ hours and had a healthy 7# 9oz baby boy. There are a lot of women that do a lot more physically intensive work than doctors (like nurses, housekeepers, even stay at home moms!) that have healthy babies. Also how do you know that you want to do derm? Lastly if that is what you want to do-- I would recommend getting pregnant when you are a 2nd year resident-- you would be 29 or so and still have time for 3 more kids. Also you would be set in your residency and on your career path. You should also first have one child and then decide after that how many you want. Having a child may change your perspective. You may decide that you want fewer children so that you can work less so you can spend more time at home or whatever, but you don't know until it happens how you will feel about it.

Lastly, about your mom's infertility issues. I would really recommend talking with your doctor about these issues and if they will affect you. Many infertility issues are not hereditary except maybe endometriosis-- but most are couple dependent and individual dependent. You may be worrying about something that you may not need to. I just feel that sometimes premeds and doctors are inundated with stuff about having children before 30, etc. and the truth is that many of us here have had many children in our 30s without issue.

I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about some of these concerns and just take it easy with all the planning. It is good to have a plan, but don't drive yourself crazy.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!