× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

My dreams for me not my kids

More
4 years 6 months ago #92474 by lyssaRN
I have always wanted to be a doctor. I can't remember a time when I didn't think about it or dream about. I went to college constantly stressing about when to have kids and how I would manage my life with medical school and family. I stressed even before I was married. I went to college and graduated to directly work in ultrasound. I loved it. I worked with Cardiology fellows and knew I wanted to be a doctor. I admired their work and knowledge and couldn't imagine my life watching each of them complete their programs and move on with their careers. However, I got married and 9 years later we have a beautiful family, with 3 boys. I love my life. While I was getting busy I kept going to school and became an RN. I'm at a point where I am trying to get my MSN. I'm taking these classes that are less patient driven and less science based. So to meet my need for that thrill, I took a perioperative nurse course. LOVE IT! I'm in the OR twice per week. I'm watching da Vinci Prostatectomy. I love it! I'm not crazy about the RN role. I'm back to wanting to go to medical school. I'm even excited to redo old science classes. I'm 35 and need to find a post bac premed program. I'm excited and I feel alive again! I know that everyone will tell me I'm crazy but I'd rather being trying than sitting back and doing nothing. I found this forum recently and read an entry about a woman doing it while being a single mom. I have a wonderful husband who supports all of my ambition and helps with everything. One year post bac premed, 4 years med school, 3-5 years residency... I feel young, its not too far away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!