× Women Physicians

Desperate for relief!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75465 by sahmd
Wow...definitely a stressful situation all around. I'm sorry your husband is not being supportive -- either financially or emotionally. I think a lot of physician moms do want to stay home because of the overwhelming stress of trying to do multiple full-time jobs at once (physician job >> 40 hrs per week plus being the primary parent). It is a trade-off, of course, because of the lost income, the black mark of a "hiatus" on your CV, the difficulties of trying to re-enter the physician workforce down the road, and the vulnerability of being completely dependent upon your husband. Just be aware of the whole picture before you decide whether to be a SAHM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #75467 by MommyDO
50 hrs of call and up for 2 nights now? I feel so sorry for you! I can read how tired you completely exhausted you must feel. It sounds like it's in your best interest to change jobs and look for more manageable hours and job responsibilities. You should be cross covered on your day off, your next job it would be extremely vital to have this. As for your husband- it makes me irritated just reading about his lack of support/sympathy/anything? for your feelings. I agree with sahmd, being SAHM and completely financially depending on your husband may not be a great choice. Re entry is diffcult, a more manageable job (part time, job share) is better than nothing to keep your up your skills and income. Hope this helps and that everything turns out well!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75516 by jasb
Nikkipedi, I am so sorry everything is so stressful. I have a friend who was a pediatrician for about 10 years I think. Anyway, she is incredibly talented and smart, and likable, but she ended up bouncing from job to job because all of her jobs were stressful just the way you are describing. she is working in the ED now, and really likes it because she has a lot more time off, even though when she is there it is still stressful at times. I just wanted to say that I am sorry you have had a hard time finding people who understand how hard this is. I understand, as I am sure a lot of us do on this forum. And don't force yourself to stay in a situation that is not making you happy. I know it probably feels like you don't have options, but you do. Best of luck!!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75536 by nikkipedi
So, my husband and I had 2 days off in a row and we sat down and for the first time really talked. He is willing to sell the house so that we can consider me taking some time off. We discussed what I would be willing to work and he is willing to look for any job right now to help out.

I was looking at jobs online and wondered if anyone had done locums work. Is it possible to work like 2 months and then have 2 off? My husband would be willing to move with the baby if we could work it out. Any advice?

Thanks for being so supportive everyone.

More
9 years 2 months ago #75548 by sahmd
Great to see some teamwork developing with your husband!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75549 by reluctantmd
Glad you and your husband are figuring a way to manage everything. In regards to your question about locums work, it is very flexible and might work well for your situation. I have just completed a long-term locums assignment but really the sky's the limit when it comes to jobs and their duration, location, etc. One suggestion is to check out 'locumtenens.com' where you can look through their website and search available jobs for your specialty. I hope that helps! Best of luck with everything.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!