× Women Physicians

1st job / part time

More
8 years 10 months ago #76525 by ohiomommd
hourly... that's so interesting. Are you still at an academic center, residentmom?
What hours do you work on your half days?

Our lives are much smoother if I'm home by 4, preferably 3:30. It seems like a nice mommy-gift in the long run to get them off to school in the morning (although I have to admit there are no concrete benefits yet!). So, I'm thinking of school hours, 4 days / week, or maybe 1 full and 2 halfs... but it's so hard for me even to write that wonderful sounding schedule ;-)

I'm considering, also, seeing if I can cover a more intensive service every 6 weeks or so-- it's interesting to me, but it has potential to mess up the kiddies' schedule.

And, as for the half-days expanding, I think I'll request my day end 30 minutes earlier than I'll need in order to pick up kiddos on time -- take the pay cut, be social or helpful if I'm not having a patient emergency.

getting excited.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #76532 by residentmom
I am employed by an independent private practice. I know, practically nonexistent. :) I love it- no production pressure, although I still crank 'em out. :) I work 8-5 on my full day, and 12-5 one day, 8-12 one day. Love it. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 10 months ago #76533 by kpzr/9145
Nikkipedi, what I have found is that the part time jobs are not really advertised. The employer has to pay a stiff fee to the headhunter so this may not be worth it to hire a part timer. The best way is word of mouth. Can you stay in your current position, but cut your hours back? I have been able to get the schedule I want out of seniority and keeping on asking! Good luck! I think that part time physician employment is becoming more acceptable and common. Think about it, there is a shortage of physicians! So why should we not get our way? It is all about negotiating. The other (conflicting) issue is that the benefits package for the employer is becoming more expensive due to increasing malpractice and health insurance costs to the employer. So if you were able to negotiate, say, you do not need the health insurance as your husband carries your plan, that may be helpful. Good luck!!

kpzr

More
8 years 10 months ago #76534 by kpzr/9145
I am employed by an independent private practice. I know, practically nonexistent.

Me too! Works for me.

kpzr

More
8 years 10 months ago #76541 by Docmomof4
Nikkipedi-I sent out my CV to headhunters and was very specific in my cover letters that I wanted part time. The job I got was advertised as a full time position but they wanted me there so they made it work. I also did not walk in requesting the schedule I have right now. I have been there almost 4 years and tweaked it each year to get it to where I wanted it.

More
8 years 10 months ago #76553 by nikkipedi
Thanks everyone for your responses. I do have a couple of jobs that I am interested in and they are looking at arranging interviews. I have found for the most part, that the jobs advertised online are usually rural and seem to have call much more frequently than I want. I have been on-call 1:4 for the past year and it is awful. It may be that I am in a rural location, but attending all C/S, ER admitting and FP consults has completely worn me out. I just don't have the stamina that others do I guess.

I did talk to my current partners and CEO and I think the main problem is if I go part-time (3 days/week), I still have to do full-time call which is just really hard. In addition, I don't get to pick what days I would work, they basically said it's what helps the department out the best. So, bottom line is I would have to work the day after call because they don't want to clean up any of my messes from the night before. I have been doing this for the past year and I can say that my tolerance for pts who have colds that think they're dying is pretty low at 4:30 on Friday after having been up since 7AM the day before.

I know that most part-time people take full-time call for benefits or whatever, but call in this rural location is too hard. That leaves me basically looking for another location/job. My family is willing to move pretty much anywhere for the right job.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!