× Women Physicians

1st job / part time

More
8 years 9 months ago #76554 by pedsdocmom
Nikkipedi, have you considered peds hospitalist work? I did the same gig as you for almost 10 years - rural to semi-rural outpatient/inpatient peds with the whole shebang - office, full call, admits, deliveries, phone calls, paperwork, ED consults, sick babies.... I got burned out too. I am now working as a hospitalist - shift work, no call, no parent phone calls(!) It has been a nice change of pace, and since programs are being started all over the country, you can frequently find one that is hiring. Also, many if not most are comprised of both full and part-timers.

I do miss the continuity and my old patients, but I don't miss the long days in the office that I used to have after being up all night! And I now have more time to make other connections in the community - like coaching my son's soccer team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #76555 by pedsdocmom
By the way, in my previous work I worked only 3 days in the office (my full-time colleagues worked 4), but I frequently saw more patients per day than they did, and carried close to the same overall patient number, so I was just squishing a full time schedule into 3 days instead of 4!

More
8 years 9 months ago #76559 by sahmd
The problems of rural practice have come up before here at MomMD. It makes sense that rural practices would be smaller groups of people, with not as many people to take call. Also, there are not that many practices to choose from. I wonder if it is easier for physician moms to find true part-time work in metropolitan areas.

More
8 years 9 months ago #76562 by mohm
There are lots of places looking for peds hospitalist. I would definitely suggest considering it as well. Look on pedjobs and the Society of Hospital Medicine (lists internal medicine jobs too). We have full time and part time people in our group that is in an academic setting. I would be happy to talk to you more about it. We are also looking to add more people to our group.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77055 by Flexdox
There are many options and hospital/clinics are becoming much more aware of how beneficial these positions are to doctors. When you have work/life balance, you will give them loyalty for a long time. Where at in Ohio? We only place permanent part time, flexible hours, reduced, as a single mother I need work/life balance, which is why I started Flexdox. Good luck

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!