× Women Physicians

Ever wonder "what have i done?"

More
7 years 3 months ago #86184 by MTaylor
one who is not formally trained in a given subject or profession = layperson. seems clear and non-degroatory....

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #86199 by niash
Here is the problem with this whole medical school system. So, we have 50% or more of the class is females. I tried to ask around if anyone would share a residency spot. Nope. The response is - We are just gonna' push through it. These babes will realize in 6 months how hard it is to leave the babies at home and work day and night. I feel that going into it, most students do not realize the stress it causes in personal life. Therefore there is no action to ask for and make it more family friendly. There was a woman at one time who started a web site sharedresidency.com and it seems to have died down since then. Remember, you don't have to accept the system the way it is. You have to fight it and make it better. There are > 50% females in each graduating class. It is a shame that residency programs are not family friendly.

More
7 years 2 months ago #86297 by lyn2006
Niash, I think a lot of us female residents don't want to extend our training and do just want to "push through". I certainly don't want to be a resident for 8 years... I'm in my third year, with 2 kids, and I'm very happy with my life.

I think that it is a shame that residency programs as a whole are not family friendly, but shared residencies are not the only answer. I am in a program which has been incredibly supportive, which for me is more important that a shared residency.

I understand where you're coming from, but just want to say that it is a very personal decision and I've been fine working 60 hrs/week and will be happy to be done with residency in 4 years :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #86299 by niash
Thanks for the response, lyn2006. If I can work 55 hrs per wk, I would just push through as well. I am in the process of finding out what the real "hours" are like. It is extremely stressful because the programs do not give out that type of answers over the phone. I was under the impression that residency would be 80 hrs per wk but it seems different sites are different w.r.t hours the residents work. This is a second career for me, I always worked >40hrs anyways.

More
7 years 2 months ago #86306 by lyn2006
It definitely varies by both specialty and program! I am in anesthesia, which I think is generally not too bad in terms of hours/week. My husband is an internal medicine resident, and his schedule varies so much by month. If he is on an inpatient rotation he sometimes pushes 80+ hrs. But then he gets elective months with free weekends and 7:30-5 days during the week. Not bad!

Good luck finding a program that fits well for you! Are you applying now?

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #86310 by clee03m
My anesthesia program was 80+/week unfortunately. I did my training before kids, so I didn't feel the pain much though...

And I also cannot imagine a shared residency. 8 years, good Lord. And I would worry that somehow someway it would not end up being truly half time as often part time isn't really as part time as it is supposed to be...
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!