× Women Physicians

Hospitalist vs out pt?

More
8 years 2 months ago #81262 by babylove
I have been giving a lot of thought to my future first job as an attending and have been getting a lot off positive feedback from future employers in my area (unsolicited!)

So, can you all elaborate on :
Hospitalist vs out pt?
Full vs part time?
Expected salary between the two?
Pros/cons with kiddos

One of my problems is that I really like in pt medicine, but I am fp and that would mean no longer seeing babies/kids/whole families. Also, I like the idea of working shifts with minimal work at home, but then of course I'd also be working weekends/weird hrs and my kiddo will start school when I start my first job. So if I am home during the day/week--no one else is anyways! (well-except maybe baby #2-- just took a pregnancy test and it is positive! Hopefully it sticks!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #81269 by Docmomof4
First of all, congratulations! I think you have to think about what you want-I know for me right now, I want to be home when kids get off the bus most days. I found a job that allows that. Full time or part time? Depends on what that is and what your salary needs are. It may be hard to build a practice if you are very part time. Also, how accepted is part time in your town?

Call also plays into things-like if you have part time office hours, do you have full time call?

I agree about in pt medicine-if you are a hospitalist, you will do only that. The pay is awesome but the job can be stressful-definitely find out if there are caps on admissions and what happens if you have too many pts to see. Shift work sounds nice but to me it seems like being a hospitalist is like being a resident forever...

Also remember, it is your first job. You don't have to stay in it forever!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #81322 by babylove
Thanks!! :)

Gosh, I never thought about it as being a resident forever-- I may have to rethink that!!

Our hospitalist group will let me rotate with them to see if i like it- I am sure this will help figure out the details of how the service works.

More
8 years 2 months ago #81329 by mohm

More
8 years 2 months ago #81336 by efex101
Being a Hospitalist is NOT like being a resident forever guys not sure why this has been floating around.....I make my own decisions and treat my patients based on MY clinical judgement alone. The pay is MUCH better than outpatient medicine and a lot more doable IMHO. You only deal with patients while hospitalized and do not have to be getting ton of jazz in your inbox or phone calls with hundreds of questions. I love it.

More
8 years 2 months ago #81364 by sahmd
Elaina Walker, maybe you mean physicians, not nurses. We are all physicians here in this forum.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!