× Women Physicians

Urgent Care Fellowship

More
7 years 10 months ago #83313 by newmamamd
While we're discussing urgent care...I'm an ER attending, recently out of residency. I just had a baby and feel like my life has been turned upside down (in a good way)and i'm rethinking my career. I want something less demanding and stressful and I'm considering urgent care work along with the possibility og leaving clinical practice altogether. My concern about urgent care is all the occupational medicine, which i have no training in. What do these occupational med patients typically entail? Is this something I can pick up fairly easily, or am I way out of my league coming from the ER?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83314 by AnnaM
Well, as one of the "careless and naive" responders to this post, I would like to say that I was just trying to give Zeze'sMum a heads-up on one aspect of urgent care that I had not anticipated (the frustration with lack of continuity). I fully realize that urgent care is not for everyone, but I think knowing about the lack of continuity up front would help in decision-making. It was something I really hadn't thought about until I was actually doing urgent care. At the time, I had not signed any kind of a contract or obligated myself to stay, so I only ended up staying a few months. Regarding residency preparation: Yes, my FM residency did prepare me pretty well for urgent care. I don't know if that is still true, because I finished my residency almost 30 years ago.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83315 by sahmd
newmamamd, it seems to me that you are already perfectly qualified to do urgent care. Don't you already see some work injuries in the ER? I think some occupational people get separate certification to interpret drug testing and to evaluate pilots and truck drivers, but surely that can't be expected for everybody doing urgent care.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!