× Women Physicians

SAHM x 7 years, husband laid off - need advice

More
7 years 1 month ago #86390 by dmdoc
I have been a long-time lurker but now find myself in need of this group's help. I was in private practice as an endocrinologist for 9 years in Texas. Seven years ago we moved to northern California for my husband's engineering job. I became a SAHM at that time, have really enjoyed it, but 3 weeks ago my husband was laid off. His job search has not yielded any definite prospects yet. Although we have an emergency fund, I feel very anxious and want to try to find work for myself, either clinical or non-clinical, as soon as possible. I do not, do not want to move if at all possible. I have an active California license and am board certified in IM and endo. What are my job options at this point, having not practiced for seven years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #86391 by niash
I am just a 4th yr med student. But, I had a lot of engineering expreience before switching to medicine. I just wanted to tell you- it is not uncommon in engineering to have layoffs. Your husband will find something (esp. in CA, there should be jobs for him). Sorry if I upset someone b/c I am not yet a physician and yet posted here. I just wanted to give some encouragement to the OP.

More
7 years 1 month ago #86394 by jandl513
Hi dmdoc, I was in the same situation as an internist 6 years ago. I took 5 years off as a SAHM and after a divorce had to find a job. my first problem was in getting references. most applications for locums positions (which is what I wanted to do locally) required recent references, which I did not have. so I ended up getting a one month position via Indian Health Service in the Navaho Nation in the summer. It was only one month; it was a beautiful location; and my services were highly valued. The doctors there were happy to provide references for me. I eventually worked weekends at an underserved country hospital closer to my home and I was able to earn a decent part time living. Hope this helps!

More
7 years 1 month ago #86395 by sahmd
Hi dmdoc, I sent you a PM (look for the red and white symbol at the top of the page).

More
7 years 1 month ago #86397 by dmdoc
Thank you all for your replies. I so appreciate it. Jandl513, were locums companies willing to work with you? Is that how you found your Indian Health Service position?

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #86691 by CMR
After a move to a new town and the birth of my second child, I took 4 ½ years off from practicing pediatrics (2001-2006). I never expected to take that much time off, but one thing led to another, and before I knew it, the years had added up. I did write a book during that time, so it’s not like I was completely idle, and I maintained my CME, licensing, board certification, DEA certificate, etc. But I decided if I was going to practice again, it had better be soon. Luckily, I was able to find a job quickly—maybe because pediatricians are often in need and because I hadn’t let any of my professional requirements wither. I’m not so sure I could do the same thing now, however, as more emphasis is being placed on the establishment of criteria for reentry into the workplace after a few years absence, at least in pediatrics, anyway. I think this varies between specialties. You might want to check out your internal medicine board and/or societies and see if they have any formal reentry criteria. The good news is, I found it remarkably easy to transition back in and by the end of my first day, I felt like I’d never left. Ironically, I’m no longer practicing as I’m focusing on writing instead. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!