× Women Physicians

Functional ER fashion

More
6 years 11 months ago #86785 by flustrated
I need to rework my ER wardrobe. I wear scrubs and a white coat at work. I like the coat because it has all the pockets, but it is unwieldy, and gets dirty quickly, and the pockets aren't ideal. I use the front "shirt pocket" on the white coat for tongue depressors and my Pocket Pharmacopoeia. But when I bend over, all the stuff falls out. I use the side pockets for wads of gloves and other miscellany.

I have some scrub pants with side pockets, but they are set too low (mid thigh) to be able to easily reach stuff.

My male partners can "wear" the same stuff more easily because they are bigger. They tuck stuff into their belt, and it works. Or the white coat is just as full, but doesn't seem as bulky on their larger frames.

Back in the day, I was an EMT, and we used to have jumpsuits with lots of pockets. And some of the nurses I work with have fanny packs.

Does anyone have a wardrobe solution for what ails me? I'd be happy to ditch the coat for something else that would help me wear the same stuff. I have been working for years with crap falling out, and feeling like the michelin man, and am tired of it. Plus that side pocket slit on the white coat keeps getting hung up on stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #86788 by efex101
Hmm, all the ED docs I see (ladies/men) just wear scrubs sans coat. Is most of the stuff you need NOT in the room with you? or easily accessible? ie have a stash in fanny pack or whatever that you can grab quickly? if necessary?

More
6 years 11 months ago #86792 by MTaylor
Yeah. I would try not to carry all that stuff around. Pharmacopeia could be left in your work room/area (why would you need it in the exam room?) Tongue depressors and such are in the room, yes? What are you carrying around?

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
6 years 11 months ago #86794 by MTaylor
And I would absolutely ditch the white coat. It is completely non-functional in the ER.

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
6 years 11 months ago #86795 by flustrated
One issue with what to wear is distinguishing myself from the nurses and other staff. Of course, I'm old enough to be everyone's mother (but many of my patients are old and can't see well!), but it was a problem years ago. I don't mind losing the coat, if I can come up with something else that works, the patients will have to figure it out in that case. I really don't want to wear street clothes- again, the pockets issue, and comfort is key to me.

I'm sure I carry too much around, but the ER is so poorly laid out and crowded, I find it helpful to have some of this stuff on my person than try to squeeze around multiple family members (many obese) in a crowded, never stocked room.

I want to have on hand: multiple gloves, tongue depressors and Qtips, vials of lidocaine, insufflator, stethescope. The Pharmacopeoia is negotiable- it helps to try to decode the meds the patients can't quite remember they are on.

Is the fanny pack idea ridiculous or unprofessional? (Will it make my butt look big? Don't answer that!)

More
6 years 11 months ago #86796 by lyn2006
how about an over the shoulder type bag? In anesthesia I keep my drugs with me and we are given a fanny pack, but I switched to a small bag that I think works well... It's the size extra small Timbuk2 messenger bag. Comes in cute colors too!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!