× Women Physicians

SAHM?

More
6 years 8 months ago #89445 by Docmomof4
Amma-it was a bit tongue in cheek though. I am a huge proponent of having them work for things. I make them bring their own money when we go out-they had a budget for the school book sale for example-$20 each, and if they wanted more they had to use piggy bank money. Not because we can't afford it,but becasue we want to teach them the value of things. Same this year for summer camp. Each has a budget for the summer. They can do two or three weeks of camp depending upon how much camp costs.

Plus, I still clean, do laundry, etc. I just have help once a week. I literally couldn't keep up with all of the laundry with 4 kids. i mean, literally. It was piling over......!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #89456 by AmmaMD
Yeah. Right now money IS very tight, and DD still thinks cleaning is some awesome game that she sometimes gets to help with - but we will see what happens over time. I certainly grew up with the idea that anyone with a "maid" (I had no differentiated ideas of people who help clean beyond this) was super-rich and that was that... so this is pretty hard for me to stomach. But perhaps not as hard as spending my precious free time cleaning the toilets (or anything else, for that matter, that I could possibly offload) rather than with my kids (or cooking a real dinner, or doing actual patient care which I love, etc).....

I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas for how to handle this with kids, though, too!!!

More
6 years 7 months ago #89576 by clee03m
I don't have a problem with it. I see all profession as valuable. I provide anesthesia for a living. My cleaning lady cleans for a living. Both are honest ways to make a living. As long as my children don't get the notion that some profession is superior to others I don't see how this is a problem. I don't make my own bread, milk my own goat, and make my own clothes. No problems there, either. I am a liberal hippie, but I don't have an issue with this one.

More
6 years 6 months ago #89841 by kpzr/9145
good point, clee03m! I feel as you do about it. I also love my handyman! I always offer those jobs to my hubby first but he is with me on this issue! After he tried doing some stuff at home with not such great results (don't ask about the painting the ceilings incident LOL) he is good with having the professionals do the work!

kpzr

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!