× Women Physicians

Okay to start new job at 24 weeks?

More
6 years 9 months ago #88707 by Flor12
Hi. Hope somebody can advise me regarding starting new job at 24 weeks. I interviewed 1/8 and 1 week after I got a job offer. A few days after I found I'm pregnant. My start date is 6/1. By then I will be at 24 weeks. I haven't told my new group yet because I want to wait until I'm past the 1st trimester. I just had a previous miscarriage at 8 weeks so I want to make sure the chance of miscarriage will be less before I tell them. I'm trying to convince myself that this is the right decision but I'm feel like it's being dishonest to not disclose immediately. I had the option to start later in August but I opted to start in June so that I can still work for 4 months before going on maternity leave. I intend to just take the minimum amount of time for maternity leave so that it won't be such an inconvenience. I'm stressing so much about other people in the practice will resent me for going on leave when I just started work. Need advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #88710 by English
I started a new job when I was 16 wks pregnant. I only found out I was pregnant after I accepted the position. I really did not want to disclose before 20 wks but people soon guessed. I worked for 5 1/2 months-- all the way up to my due date. I only took 7 wks off as well.

I personally really had no qualms about the situation. My reasoning is this -- I worked for 6 years as an attending covering multiple other colleagues on maternity and paternity leaves, sick children, etc. I was the single attending (no hubby, no kids) that was the go to person to work late, cover everyone else, etc. As a resident, my supervising attending made me cover for another resident on Father's Day so he could go home and be with his kids -not really considering that my own father would have liked to see me on Father's Day.

The thing is even though I had a baby at a different job-- I think it's all connected. None of my new colleagues made an issue of it and even if they did then I would have fought tooth and nail. I am lucky I work with great people but none of them have young children so it is far removed from them. The point is I delayed having a child longer than most (not by choice) and there is never a good time to have children. I would say tell your employer/colleague after you clear your first trimester and let them know that you plan to work and intend to come back after maternity leave, etc. but never apologize for being pregnant or having a child. They should all just deal with it. And 20 years down the road when your kids are grown and you have a younger partner who is pregnant then do the same for her. Cover for her on maternity leave and don't talk behind her back about it, etc. Just my 2 cents.

BTW Congratulations!

More
6 years 9 months ago #88725 by Flor12
Thanks a lot for sharing your personal experience. It ease my mind that other people were in situation once and everything went okay. Thanks again for the insight.

More
6 years 9 months ago #88801 by NWwnmom
I too took a job while I was pregnant. I was hugely pregnant when I interviewed and it was a non-issue, at least as far as I know. I would also wait until at least after the 1st trimester to tell work.

Do you already have children? I was surprised that after I had my son I had NO desire to go back to work. Luckily, I had signed on to start work when he was 11 weeks old and I was only doing 1 day a week to start off. If I were to do it all over again I would probably do the same as I need my 1 day/week to keep from totally loosing touch with my clinical skills. Personally, if I had to return to full time work with a newborn I would have totally lost it and quit medicine. No question. This was a surprise to me as I had always been so driven for a career. Of course this is my personal experience and I'm sure others have been quite happy going back to work with wee little one. I guess it is just something to think about if you have the option to not get locked into too much before the baby comes. Best of luck!

More
6 years 9 months ago #88826 by OnExtendedLeave
I agree with NWwnmom -- after my son was born (3rd year of residency), I really wanted to spend more time with him -- I had no option for 1.5 additional years of residency, but once I finished, I went to per diem only and did on average 2 shifts per week, which was really quite a good balance for me at the time between career and family. You might like to consider the possibility of taking a part-time position with the group so that it's easier for them to fill your slots during leave and primarily so that you have more time with your baby after your leave ends. Obviously this isn't the best choice for all, but it's difficult to know ahead of time how you might feel with a newborn. Good luck!

More
6 years 9 months ago #88861 by Twinks
I started my first job 24 weeks pregnant too! Went on bed rest at 28 weeks. Aaaaahhh!!! At least they knew I was pregnant when they hired me! Lol

The years are short but the days are long.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!