× Women Physicians

Work discrimination and Pregnancy

More
5 years 11 months ago #90270 by K8j13
I am a surgeon and needed some advice re my employer. I work in single speciality practice with 3 other docs and 2 PA's. several months ago, I was offered a contract for the next year's work. I held off on signing because I found out I was pregnant. My lawyer recommended being open and honest with them. It has now been 3 months since I made the announcement and they finally offered a new contract. Only problem-- they made a low-ball offer that is significantly less financially then either the previous contract offered or my current contract-essentially 30% of receivables vs approx 50% in my current contract. Another issue-- I have 3 business days to respond before my current contract expires.
I feel lil they are trying to force me out without actually firing me outright-- all because I told them I was pregnant. I feel like I should seek employment elsewhere. Any advice would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #90282 by tr_
Isn't that illegal? What did your lawyer say about the reduced offer? Sorry you're dealing with this :(

More
5 years 11 months ago #90298 by clee03m
I would say that qualifies as discrimination which is against the law. Contracts are negotiable, so I would negotiate for the higher pay you deserve. I would be curious as to what your lawyer say as well.

More
5 years 11 months ago #90320 by ellie
Such a tough situation. I'm curious if you work for a nonprofit or profit hospital. I have recently been through renegotiations and they truly can do pretty much what they want...it can all be argued financially, and if they answer to private benefactors, that is where their loyalties lie. Not to the good of the community. It is a business.
I think in the end you have to decide what you want. I'm sure you don't want to have to find another job...but they may think you will take it bc you don't want to do that while you are pregnant? NOt really sure how "Their" minds work.

I'm curious what type of surgery. If you do Ortho, come on out to Oregon and we'll set up a job share and everyone can be happy! :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #92469 by K8j13
I just wanted to send a quick update. I left my previous employer and I am now working part time at a new practice. I couldn't be happier!!

More
5 years 3 months ago #92470 by English
Glad it worked out, K8. I just always feel like pregnancy is the litmus test of an employer-- especially with physician employment. The way that they handle your pregnancy is probably what defines what type of employer they are and if they stand behind the promises they make when they initially woo you.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!