× Women Physicians

specialty choice

More
5 years 5 months ago #94641 by AmmaMD
NYCDO1: so glad to hear you're feeling good about psych. It is amazing how immensely different (and for me, better) outpatient is from inpatient psychiatry. I wonder sometimes if this is part of why so few people apply in psych compared with other specialties - most med schools you basically just do inpatient psych, and you don't get to actually experience most of the great parts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #94643 by lolaMD
LOVING outpatient psych too!! Third year is confirming that psych was the right choice for me. I also am glad that I stuck it out!
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by .

More
5 years 5 months ago #94644 by tr_
Wait till you guys get out of residency. It's a whole new world. I love my job. :)

(I liked inpatient psych too though, I think I'm a bit of an outlier there. But having mostly all collaborative patients who actually want your help is a big plus for outpatient.)

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #94657 by nightowl
So I'm not in psychiatry, but I am debating applying for psychiatry as a second residency. I've also given some though to approaching my program about possibly doing a combined residency. I've been following psych posts forever and have always had an interest in it. I have been incredibly indecisive and am training in my third specialty after two switches (I know, crazy). but all along I've felt a really strong attraction to psych. I wish I had followed my heart and just done psychiatry though I am much happier in my current field vs my previous training. I have debated applying to addiction fellowships because that is the shortest, closest route to doing something that may be similar to psychiatry.. but I think I would enjoy outpatient psychiatry moreso than addiction. I would get a year of credit and also have neurology and probably some psych training in my residency (I'm in family medicine). Do you think it'd be worth it to train in it as a second residency? Would love opinions. Which by the way, I think it is the best kept secret in medicine. I seriously think if med students did outpatient in med school it would be much more competitive. Also if I need to post this as a separate post, please let me know. I was just captivated by all of the third years here and jumped on the opportunity to get your opinions.

nightowl
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

More
5 years 4 months ago #94668 by niash
Nightowl, there will be funding issues. You were funded for three yrs of med education. So, if u want to do psych, u will have to find a program that will fund u from their own monies. I have seen this done, just not sure how easy it would be

More
5 years 4 months ago #94767 by mampsych
Hi Everyone,

New here, but I just wanted to chime in. I'm a psychiatrist, and I love my job. I have 3 young kids and I find that this field absolutely helps with work/life balance. So glad that I ended up in psychiatry (even though I thought I would become a surgeon!)

Good luck, everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: katiebug

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!