× Women Physicians

specialty choice

More
5 years 1 month ago #95251 by flustrated
I can't give you an insider's opinion, but seems to me that, since child psychiatrists are as rare as hen's teeth, you can write your own ticket with how you see fit to practice when you are done as a child psychiatrist. You could have a heavily holistic practice, with the ability and experience to use the latest psych meds judiciously, as an adjunct to however you think you should primarily treat children. You can live wherever you want and take cash only too. Hope you get your other questions answered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #95756 by MillieJane
I'm sort of in a similar situation. I have just matched into psych, but am seriously second guessing my choice. I truthfully should have probably applied to transitional or prelim medicine programs as I was not certain on any specialty to devote my entire life to. honestly, who is at the end of their 3rd year of medical school ready to make such an important decision with such limited information. I feel going through 4th year really helped me grow as a person and find out what I do enjoy and appreciate about the field of medicine. currently I am on a radiology rotation, and am truly enjoying it. it's a shame that I had this elective so late in the game and during match month also. :( really trying to stop second guessing myself and go into this with an open mind, but my mind won't shut off and I keep wondering what if.... the problem is the intern year of psychiatry doesn't translate into transferring into other specialties at all.... that's absurd to me and I don't like it but what can i do about it...?

More
4 years 8 months ago #95757 by lydiasmommy
Hi MillieJane -

Sorry to hear that you're in a tough spot. I don't have any great advice. I think on the bright side during a psych intern year you will do 6 months of medicine and neurology that will likely count towards whatever credits you need for a transitional year for radiology.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!