× Women Physicians

Part-time work-what is possible?

More
4 years 4 months ago #90767 by Cabinbuilder
Man, I haven't been on here for about 6 years. Time does fly.

Ever thought of doing locums? If you live in a large urban area, there generally is locums work available where you would cover office vacations, etc. Urgent care you can do and is flexible but you would probably be asked to see peds for ear infections and sore throats. Rates usually run $80/hr and the locums company pays your malpractice. Down side of locums is you don't have health insurance and they don't take out taxes so be careful with that. I have done locums for the last 4 years and totally love the flexibility (but my kids are in high school now).

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #90841 by Docmomof4
Juniper-I am in primary care and I work part time. I am with you. I wanted under 30 hours a week. I have two part time jobs-one is an addictions medicine position which I can do quite a bit remotely and make my own hours, the other is at a primary care site, 16 clinical hours a week and some admin stuff. So, you aren't the only one who wants to work less. Our work is nice that way b/c we can work less and still make enough money for it to be worthwhile.

It is pretty common for people to work part time in our primary care site. You could probably do 50% clinical which would be 4 1/2 sessions a week-two full days, one half day, and 2 hours admin, as a minimum. But it sounds like you are in a subspecialty so not sure how that works. FWIW I make upper 100's for my full time base at that job (happy to be more specific in a PM, plus bonuses and benefits. No call, weekends, or holidays. Not bad for primary care. I actually work half time at my primary job b/c I took another job in addictions medicine, but plenty of other docs in our area just do the half time work. My hours are what I want them to be, pretty much. like, every fall I change my schedule a bit based on kids extra curriculars. We only get 5 weeks vaca though, not 7 like Clee. 1 CME week, 3 personal days and 10 sick days a year. I use the sick time for kids dr appts and stuff.

More
4 years 2 months ago #91121 by mini425
Hi Docmomof4,

How do you get benefits like vacation,insurance,etc if you are part time?Here in Texas, benefits only if you work 40 hours/week.

More
4 years 2 months ago #91131 by clee03m
I am in anesthesia and I get equal vacation and benefits as full timers. Once I go officially below 80% FTE I would take proportionately less vacation and call. Once I go below 50% I would lose partnership. Benefits remain as our group buys insurance but we individually pay for our own insurance.

More
4 years 2 months ago #91158 by Docmomof4
Hi Mini-Our contracts stipulate benefits until 50% time. Below that we can't have health insurance. That is through our organization, not state mandated, and I pay more since I am part time. Vacation is pro rated, I believe many part time jobs have that. Insurance, I am at a FQCHC so we are covered by FTCA, don't have to pay malpractice.

More
4 years 2 months ago #91328 by ellie
Hi y'all!
Love this thread.
I'm an orthopod and was working 2 weeks on and 2 off (.73 FTE), sharing time and patients with an older guy that wanted a way to cut back without retiring.
The hospital decided that "part time doctors" don't work for them. So now the two of us are one week on and one off and are primarily seeing all the ER f/u and taking call for those days straight. It comes out to be full time.

Clee, I, too, appreciated what you had to say about working part time. It is easy to fall into the mainstream way of thinking that you have to constantly work your tail off. It is tough to deal with the guilt when you have a family at home.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!