× Women Physicians

Attending asking me to dictate for him

More
5 years 7 months ago #91274 by Docmomof4
We would have serious problems with 6 months of delinquent dictations b/c you usually can't bill after 90 days and you can't legally bill if things aren't documented. So they either lost money for services rendered or billed illegally. This just seems so unethical. Definitely make it clear in the dictations that you are dictating for someone else....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #91311 by dmdoc
This seems so wrong!! You should at least be PAID to do this!! This helps advance your learning/training in what way?? I would think that your program director would protect you from having to do this sort of thing. I hope he realizes that this better not interfere with your fellowship duties. Are you the only fellow? Did they ask other fellows to pitch in? Would contacting someone at the ACGME be helpful?

More
5 years 7 months ago #91316 by becco
I remember having to do the last minute dictations for gyn onc as a resident. Usually it was only H&Ps and D/c summaries. But it was frustrating when I would start a rotation and get left with ones that the previous resident didn't do!!! The attending would call on say November 29 when they were due on the 30th. And this was before we could log in remotely to hospital records. So, had to do a night breastfeeding session and head on in to the hospital and track down the info and get it all done. No one wants to suffer the wrath of the onc attending!

I definitely agree with everyone that you HAVE to mention somehow in each dictation that you are the scribe, especially if it a procedure and you were not scrubbed or present. I would always say something at the bottom like that. I doubt that the attending will spend more than a second or two reviewing it. If they delete that part, it is on them.

More
5 years 7 months ago #91327 by ellie
I agree with the note above from Mohm. There are a lot of docs using a scribe when using EHRs. (Those lucky souls). It has to be clearly documented what their role is similar to the way she suggested above.
Clee, I wish I had had that motto in residency. :)

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!