× Women Physicians

Feeling like a failure

More
4 years 11 months ago #95379 by teddybear55
I'm new and not sure where I should post. I graduated from medical school last year, but have been unable to match into a peds residency program. I am applying again this year, but it doesn't look promising. I have 3 kids and very likely will be ending my marriage soon. I need to find a way to support my kids and also be able to pay off my student loans. I have absolutely no interest in any of the adult specialties. I know I will probably have to give up on this career at some point. I would appreciate any advice. I'm feeling very discouraged and hopeless right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #95383 by lydiasmommy
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. If pediatrics is not a possibility would you consider other specialties where you have to see adults during training but could limit your practice to mostly children afterwards like child psychaitry or family practice?

More
4 years 11 months ago #95384 by sahmd
Hi teddybear55, I'm sorry you are going through this. Would you be willing to share what you think made it difficult for you to match? I am just wondering if there is anything fixable. For example, if you only applied to programs in one city because of your husband's job or your children's schools, that is something that you can change by being willing to move anywhere in the US.

I hope you are not alone in supporting your kids. Will your husband be able to pay child support if you get divorced?

More
4 years 11 months ago #95393 by Call Me Dr.
Teddybear55, I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time! Is the reason that you've been out for a year related to not matching, or due to the tough personal stuff you're going through?
I have a friend who wasn't able to match into OB/Gyn and applied to Family Medicine the next year. Have you thought about family practice? Or, a non-clinical job like research while you regroup?

More
4 years 11 months ago #95477 by KelcieLe
You should not be discouraged. Keep on trying and If you do not succeed, there are a number of career options available.You can try one of those.

Texan Urgent Care

More
4 years 10 months ago #95541 by becco
I just want to say- first of all you are NOT a failure. You have a medical degree. You have studied and worked hours on end to be where you are. You have an MD, which is not an easy feat. We think sometimes that there is only one path, but there are many, some with the same destination, different route, and some that begin the same, but have different destinations...

I hope you are applying again to programs this year, and if you want to do pediatrics, it may be a matter of finding the right program. I too, am interested in hearing if you may have been limited to where you applied. Many of us stay in a certain geographic area, or know that we will do better in community vs university settings. I hope that you have found programs that might meet your needs to which you can apply. Could you do a general intern year or research year? I know how you feel when you say you are not interested in adult medicine. Now that I have been in Obgyn for over 10 years (residency plus over six years practice) I have NO interest in male patients. I could not see myself doing urgent care or general medicine and have to see males!

It is not hopeless. There are other directions you can take. You are going through so much right now, I am glad you found this board. It has helped me immensely throughout the many years I have disliked medicine and my field.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!