× Women Physicians

Discrimination against part timers?

More
13 years 9 months ago #20223 by Carole
I have been part time for 5 years now, and am probably quitting, mostly due to the treatment I get as a part timer. I get considered last for the work schedule, don't get my name on the group prescription pads, don't get invited to any company social functions--all due to may part time status. I have no benefits at all.

I made it clear to my employer that I was limited to part time due to family but that I was planning to commit to working there for the future as I live in that area and would even consider going full time there when my kids were older.

I am getting no credit toward partnership for these years.

Anyone else feel part timers get no respect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #20224 by Sally
I totally agree. It seems the full-timers resent us part-timers (jealosy?) because of all the free-time we have. They don't realize that in order to keep up with telephone calls, labs, paperwork, we usually put in many extra hours per week that are not paid or credited. In my situation, I get prorated benefits, which I think is fair and my compensation has been reasonable. However, the part-timers are often excluded from making decisions and are not given the same advancment opportunities.

More
13 years 9 months ago #20225 by mom1st
In my situation, I am part-time (paid for 3 days a week but work to some extent 6 days a week). I am the only female physician and the other four are full-time male docs (one is my husband, who is of course supportive). I don't get any benefits, but it's okay as my husband and thus the family are covered. It is such a boys' club here yet in many ways... They seem to think I am home eating bon bons and watching soaps on all this time off I seem to have. Actually, I am going insane raising my young family, doing all my housework/cooking/etc, plus doing lots of extra work I'm not paid for. One doc is in his 50s, no kids...the other two have stay at home wives who do everything for them, including raising their kids. I KNOW they have more "free time" than I do (I have none!!)... One even had the balls to suggest that I take extra ER call since I was only part-time, and he didn't feel he should have to do that much call at this point in his career. (The call is all first call, no ER doc, really stinks, and would be without any extra pay.) He seemed surprised when I told him no way. Give me a break and get a life! :banghead:

More
13 years 9 months ago #20226 by mommydionne
Hey Mom1st sound like you are surrounded by spoiled babies, It is that way at the hosp I work at too, arghhhhh, once I had a rant and listed all the stuff I did BEFORE I came to work (I have 4 kids, 2 in school, 2 in daycare) to one of the whiny single guys!!! felt good and he was amazed (he gets up 20 minutes before his office starts!!!!)
stick to your guns!!!

More
13 years 9 months ago #20227 by sisriver
It is a shame about lack of respect and appropriate credit to parttimers. Thanks for bringing it up, as we need to change attitudes asap so that we can better use our valuable time for our children.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!