× Women Physicians

Question about overhead (reasonable?)

More
11 years 4 months ago #20336 by E
I've been in private practice as the (very) junior member of a group--the other doc started the practice, his wife has been office manager, I have essentially functioned as an employee.

The practice has gone to being hospital-managed, so I'm now an independent contractor.

I met with the hospital people the other day about how the financials will work. Their idea is for me to be paid a percentage of gross collections (I'm planning to leave, so I won't be there too long).

The percentage they gave me for me to take home was 51% of gross collections. That amount of overhead seems awfully high to me, especially since the other doc's overhead is roughly 30%.

A few factors:

-I'm only in the office half days. The other half of the day I'm in the hospital as the medical director of an inpatient unit
-About 40% of my billing comes from inpatient work (ie., no overhead other than billing)
-The other guy is in the office full time and is REALLY busy

Does this seem like a reasonable amount for me to pay in overhead? I'm really not good at this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #20337 by francesca'smom
My overhead is 67% of billing-not sure how to compare apples and oranges.....

More
11 years 4 months ago #20338 by E
Wow.

I don't think anyone in my small town is paying close to that. Are you in NYC?

I managed to get things worked out with the hospital. I sat down with them and we discussed the numbers--after about ninety minutes my overhead was down to 35%. It all seemed very inexact, but I'm much happier with the outcome.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #73721 by doctorstar
E -
How did this one work out? I know it was a while back since you posted. What area do you practice in?

-Devi

Last Edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!