× Women Physicians

Challenges facing women physicians

More
17 years 5 months ago #20722 by MomMD
What professional or personal challenges do you face being a women physician? If there was one bit of advice you'd give to women starting a medical career, what would it be?

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #20723 by Zarifa
The biggest challenge is "having it all", or at least having the most important things. When you try to balance having children and a full time MD job there are usually not enough hours in the day. This means that either someone else has to raise the kids or the job has to be part time. Having a part time job is sometimes an immediate loss of status with salary loss and a view by lots of colleagues that you are not a serious doctor.

More
17 years 4 months ago #20724 by Goldfingers
My biggest challenge is getting enough sleep! I have a very busy solo OB-GYN practice with 15-20 deliveries/month, I have 2 children and a physician husband. I leave the house at 7:30-8:00 each morning to take the kids to school or summer camps. They are picked up by the afternoon sitter. By the time I get home (if I get home), it's 7 or 8pm, dinner is over, and I am left to eat dinner alone, clean up the kitchen, do laundry, check homework, get things ready for school the next day, etc. By the time the youngest is asleep, I finally "relax" to my den to pay bills, read mail, and surf the internet. This is from 10pm to 1am. Then it starts again the next day. So I get my time with everyone(except my husband because he's already gone to bed by then), except myself. I go to many out-of-town meetings to really get some rest and have time to myself. Don't you remember when you first had your baby, how you got more sleep while on call at the hospital, than at home?

More
17 years 4 months ago #20725 by BabyEyeDoc
Goldfingers hit it right on the nose: lack of sleep! Here it is 1 am and I am finally getting my 'self time', when I turn on the computer, pay bills, look through a magazine or two, the kids in bed and hubby long ago dozed off.

I feel like in order to catch some time for myself I have to give up on sleep, and then I run like a maniac again the next day.

I would not necessarily recommend this approach, it is just what happens! Sometimes, though, I just crash and go to bed early, though this is very difficult to do.
I want to spend any minute I can with my kids, knowing that they will be small but this very short time, and I do really love the time I spend at work.

But the rewards are many.

More
17 years 4 months ago #20726 by GracieThree

Originally posted by Goldfingers:
Don't you remember when you first had your baby, how you got more sleep while on call at the hospital, than at home?

:) LOL - I can relate - I remember being so sleep-deprived immediately postpartum that I thought "I will never complain about call again." It really puts things in perspective. Plus, although you care about your patients, not many things (except codes) would make my heart race like my newborn crying.

More
17 years 4 months ago #20727 by BBdoc
Hi!!! Many Challenges, but being in private practice, When I set up, I quickly realized I knew next to nothing about the "money" aspect of it all, and less about contracts. Take a Businesss course, learn as much about coding as your billing person, after all it is our livelyhood, and if you are familiar with all these things before you decide to go into whatever type of practice you go in to it will ultimately allow you to do what you do best, care for patients and your family

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!