× Women Physicians

ideas on alternative jobs for ob/gyn md

More
14 years 2 months ago #23419 by kangaroo
Funny - I am also an ObGyn (perinatologist)and have 2 other Ob friends with the same exact question - alternative areas! It's very hard to find ready alternatives, mostly because of the malpractice and the fact that because of the difficult lifestyle of Ob, part-time isn't usually feasible. One thought a few of us have had is to be an OB hospitalist ("laborist"), covering a hospital's L&D for emergency deliveries and ER hits for set hours. Down side is lack of continuity, upside is regular hours and still getting to use some skills. Problem is, jobs are scarce, so you really have to create your own job - approaching a local hospital or large practice group, as I understand it. Just a thought . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #23420 by maggie52
You coudl involve yourself wiht a locum tenens company and tell them you can only work one week per month...perhaps out of your area. Three weeks with kiddo...locums compakny ays for your malpractice for the set time you worked for them....but hubby would need to adjuts things for his ONE WEEK per month where he would need to be dependable for your kiddo..or you coudl bring your baby wiht you and a babysitter?

More
14 years 2 months ago #23421 by Cyndebmd
I'm also an OB/GYN who wanted out. 3 years ago, I quit (at that point I had done GYN only for 4 years; at least I slept but was still unhappy)and was a SAH mom until 3 weeks ago. I am now a medical analyst for a defense litigation support firm and I really like it. I am almost done with training in-house (my choice, you can do it all on the internet) and will be working from home soon. They are actively recruiting for WAH analysts. If you would like to look, there is a website: [url=http://www.medicineforthedefense.com.]www.medicineforthedefense.com.[/url] Good luck!

More
14 years 2 months ago #23422 by alternativeMD
How about becoming a pregnancy and postpartum coach?

I know that as a woman who has never had a child yet, I would very much like to talk to an ex-OBGYN about some of the practical/emotional issues involving pregnancy. Who better?

There is a lot of media attention on post-partum depression--you may be able to become a local expert! You can charge something like $60/hr, cash.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

More
14 years 2 months ago #23423 by mom1st
I can't offer much more practical advice, as there have been some great ideas posted. I do want to offer some moral support, however, and wish you well. I am an FP (with two small kids and physician hubby) doing OB (obviously on a much smaller scale!) and plan to quit the OB and do outpatient FP only a couple days a week. I cannot imagine doing the number of deliveries you mention; it would drive me insane. I am miserable enough with just a few a month. At least in FP, you can get some urgent care type jobs or hospitalist/ER work. It seems OB/Gyn can be so much more limited in other medicine alternatives; I can see how finding another option can be a challenge. I certainly wish you all the best and will be thinking of you.

More
14 years 2 months ago #23424 by mommymd
Thanks again everyone for the ideas. I am going to look at www.medicineforthedefense.com right now ! It sounds like a great idea ! The locums idea as well as hospitalist ideas are options too. I think they should change all OB to hospitalists !Thanks also for the support everyone. It is so hard to tell everyone after all your training that you want to make a change.

obgyn mommy

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!