× Women Physicians

Physician only forum?

More
17 years 1 week ago #23727 by Kimya
Wow, looks like this is still open for debate after all! Lots of interesting responses. I had two thoughts:

1) Sethina, I wonder if there could be a compromise, where the physicians forum would be read-only for non-physicians, ie only physicians can post.

2) I am trying to understand better what sorts of things are so sensitive that you have to be credentialed as a physician to read it, and am having a difficult time- can someone help me? Aside from a couple of negative posts on this section, this community, whether premed or student or physician, seems to be very supportive of each other and our goals. Although I am not a physician, I work in a sensitive area so understand some concerns about privacy. Howver, I would not feel any more comfortable posting more details in a protected section in my area, for example, simply because I do not know who is reading it. Even if they need to provide credentials to get the initial logon, there is no guarantee that that person is the one actually reading the posts. There is also no guarantee that just because a person has a certain credential that they will be more understanding and sensitive.

Thanks-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #23729 by MD mother of 2
This is in reply to the question as to whether a physicians forum should be made available exclusively to physicians. This is so nit-picky! Are you expected to check the physicians' credentials? Are they really licensed physicians? Or did they graduate from medical school? MD? DO? This is all wrong. MY OPINION IS THAT THE FORUM SHOULD STAY THE WAY IT IS. I graduated from medical school in 1985, yet I still remember how in-the-dark I was about medicine, life as a pre-med/medical student/intern/resident/young physician looking for work. I think it is very important that non-physicians have access to the forum, if for nothing else than to gain knowledge from the discourse which occurs. I wish I had had such a forum when I was a pre-med or medical student...perhaps I would have initially adjusted better to the expectations of such students had I known that everybody else had gone through the same grueling experiences. Perhaps I would have picked a better internship...or a different specialty. A person can never be overly informed. If a few individuals find it discouraging and they decide not to pursue a medical career, perhaps it is best they find out now rather than after being a $100,000 or so in debt for college loans and be forced to stay in a profession they hate (perhaps one of the causes of burn-out). Luckily I have no debts and never did...I'm one of the lucky few (my mother & grandmother came by the money the hard way...my internship year I made more money than my mother had EVER made in a years time). NO, I AM OPPOSED TO LIMITING ACCESS TO THE PHYSICIANS FORUM. One thought is, perhaps everybody should have access to read it, but only physicians could write replies; I'm not too keen on that idea either, as sometimes input or questions of non-physicians may be likewise important. LET'S LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE! Don't mess with a good thing. Thanks for listening.

More
17 years 1 week ago #23728 by MD mother of 2
This is in reply to the question as to whether a physicians forum should be made available exclusively to physicians. This is so nit-picky! Are you expected to check the physicians' credentials? Are they really licensed physicians? Or did they graduate from medical school? MD? DO? This is all wrong. MY OPINION IS THAT THE FORUM SHOULD STAY THE WAY IT IS. I graduated from medical school in 1985, yet I still remember how in-the-dark I was about medicine, life as a pre-med/medical student/intern/resident/young physician looking for work. I think it is very important that non-physicians have access to the forum, if for nothing else than to gain knowledge from the discourse which occurs. I wish I had had such a forum when I was a pre-med or medical student...perhaps I would have initially adjusted better to the expectations of such students had I known that everybody else had gone through the same grueling experiences. Perhaps I would have picked a better internship...or a different specialty. A person can never be overly informed. If a few individuals find it discouraging and they decide not to pursue a medical career, perhaps it is best they find out now rather than after being a $100,000 or so in debt for college loans and be forced to stay in a profession they hate (perhaps one of the causes of burn-out). Luckily I have no debts and never did...I'm one of the lucky few (my mother & grandmother came by the money the hard way...my internship year I made more money than my mother had EVER made in a years time). NO, I AM OPPOSED TO LIMITING ACCESS TO THE PHYSICIANS FORUM. One thought is, perhaps everybody should have access to read it, but only physicians could write replies; I'm not too keen on that idea either, as sometimes input or questions of non-physicians may be likewise important. LET'S LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE! Don't mess with a good thing. Thanks for listening.

More
17 years 1 week ago #23730 by DrSleep
Just a note:
I like checking the post of the physicians forum because it is difficult to find sometimes other women physicians around to talk to. Once in the career there are other concerns different than the ones during the pre med and med school ones. But at the same time I do check on other forums, mostly Family and Parenting and General discussions. If there are questions over there from students or residents I do reply if I can give some advice, suggestion or share my experience. I think that what will end up happening is that the physicians that do not go to other forums will end up not comming here either if it turns into a premed-residency discussion. If the worry is about getting questions answered from physicians to students/residents why not open a new forum just for that :Questions for the physicians. But my experience is that those questions are already asked in the General discussion forum.
Hope this input helps,
Dana

More
17 years 1 week ago #23731 by nucmedrules
Frankly, I think that you will lose a lot if you restrict access. If privacy is a problem, there are several other ways to address the issue, as noted above.

I am less familiar with this website than with that of my speciality (Aunt Minnie.com), but that one does seem to work quite well without any imposed restrictions. Alternate names are common with true names being VERY rare. Yes, this can lead to some unrestrained language and comments, but much of that seems to be restricted to the board designated for residents. The advice tends to be very useful.

More
17 years 1 week ago #23732 by rugratdoc
:twocents: let me please throw my 2 cents in.
As a physician, I wouldnt mind having a physician only forum for the above stated reasons vocalized by prior physicians. However; having this forum would in no way limit my visits to other forums and I will still be able to provide mentorship.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!