× Women Physicians

Physician only forum?

More
16 years 11 months ago #23739 by docnroll
I would like a physician only forum and an ask the physician forum. I would like to be able to discuss indepth doc issues without feeling like I am discouraging others about going into medicine. You have to have some idealism to get started in all this ... just like getting married... I don't feel completely comfortable saying many specific issues on the open forum... Also feel like it is a little one sided. Premeds asking for advice... not docs supporting docs and residents...Residents probably need the most support of all. docnroll.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #23740 by MomMD
I'm collecting all the answers and will be deciding soon. ANyone else have anything to add?

Sethina

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

More
16 years 11 months ago #23741 by rugratdoc
It sounds in general that the currently practicing physicians...including myself tend to prefer a physician-only forum, :boggled: . I can only speak for myself, I do not think having access to a physician only forum would not limit me from visiting other forum sites. I would be more than happy to offer mentorship. :p

More
16 years 11 months ago #23742 by drmoo55
I have read all the for and against reasons to have an all MD forum and just wanted to add my 2cents.

One thing that makes me respond is the statement by docnroll . Nothing bad docnroll - just made me think.

Why do we feel we have to portray a "good" side of medicine, or marriage, or motherhood & not the REAL side!

I have always felt that I didn't really KNOW the realities of what a REAL marriage entailed -day to day stuff. Or, I also feel that Moms (I don't have kids) tell you all about the "good" parts of motherhood and not the REAL nitty-gritty stuff- which is what I would want to hear about before I venture into something so important.

And it's the same with medicine. I feel that we watch what we say to those interested in medicine so as not to scare? :confused: them. When I think they may really need to know the day-in-day-out stuff we go through and make up their own mind.

I read a book called The Mask of Motherhood which talks about mothers being unwilling, or afraid, or confused about talking about the REAL issues they face as mothers. what it is really like. Society looks down on that.

Should we as physicians also fear what we say because we may look like uncaring physicians dealing with stressfull cases and long hours? Shouldn't we be able to tell it like it is to anyone considering going into the field of medicine so that they are prepared for the road ahead. The good as well as the bad.

I think we should feel open to discuss all issues but then I too find myself hesitating so that I may not discourage a student. Is this really helpful? To them or to us?

Just my 2cents.

More
16 years 11 months ago #23743 by Lindsey
Thank you DrMoo....that's exactly my sentiment. I don't have a set list of questions I want to ask a physician, but rather it's helpful for me to hear what day-to-day practice is like..... Having no idea what issues arise, I could never generate the correct questions. But having access to the conversations of physicians gives insight that isn't readily gleaned from other sources.

Peace~
Lindsey

More
16 years 11 months ago #23744 by anbdo
I think that having a "physician only" forum is a bad ideal. I feel that physicians in the"real world" have a lot to offer to others who are in training. By having a physician only forum that source of information will be lost. I feel that having a physician only forum is another way for physician to exclude themselve from the rest of the world. If it happen I,a physician, will have no parts of it!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!