× Women Physicians

leaving medicine

More
12 years 11 months ago #24254 by lidiamd
i am an obgyn, and i am planning to leave medicine entirely in the next year if my plans for part-time practice don't work out. i don't need the money, and i plan to homeschool my child. i have mixed feelings about this, because i do love medicine and interacting with patients; but i am fed up with the business of medicine. i don't want to close the door forever, and would like some imput from others who have/are considering a similar path. i want to keep my license active--besides paying my fees and keeping up with cme, are there any other issues i need to be aware of that could bar me from returning to practice at a later date?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #24255 by sisriver
I just want to wish you luck. It sounds like you are trying to prepare to be practical about it. I still work reluctantly fulltime, but have longed to be able to pursue the growth possible within the home, even interested in homeschooling. I've heard other physicians on this site mention working once monthly at free clinic in order to keep a hand in.

I so regret the conflict - that (fulltime) medical career and motherhood just plain don't match up together, if one desires to do a good job at both. Especially once kids are schoolage, it can come down to just scheduling issues, besides the energy and desire to be there.

More
12 years 11 months ago #24256 by sahmd
One thing to consider is if you take time off completely and then want to reapply for privileges at a hospital, they will want some evidence that you are still competent, especially for hands-on skills like deliveries and surgical procedures. You know those privileging forms where you have to say how many of X procedure you have done in the last 2 years? :) If it is possible to do something very, very part-time -- maybe once a month, I don't know -- just to prove that you are still "in active practice," you could avoid that problem. If there is a particular hospital where you would like to work in the future, you might find out what its specific requirements are.

I hope you are able to find a solution that works out for both you and your family. Good luck!

More
12 years 11 months ago #24257 by alternativeMD

Originally posted by sisriver:

I so regret the conflict - that (fulltime) medical career and motherhood just plain don't match up together, if one desires to do a good job at both.

Recently, I've come in contact with several outstanding women professionals. My senator is a woman, my OBGYN is a woman, my dentist is a woman, my favorite speaker at the last conference that I attended was a woman, and even my pilot on the last flight was a woman. They are all outstanding in their jobs. I hope that there'd be plenty of women professionals in the future. I would like to see more women's rising to the top to make leadership and executive decisions.

But overwhelmingly in every place I've worked, women make up the "worker bee" workforce, while men make up the executive workforce. The conflict is always so much about caring for your children and caring for the world. You cannot do the job of a CEO and still be a full-time mom, and/or a full time elder care person. My opinion is that it's not fair to demand equal treatment at jobs when you only work partime. In short, women, with their responsibilities at home, cannot compete with men.

I think it would be tremendous if we could somehow encourage/promote men to take on more home/childrearing tasks at home, so that women can have a more equal footing at the job place. Because it seems like society thrives when there is a check and balanced in the way that it looks at issues. It would be better if men could take on more in caring for the young and the eldery. So women (for those who want to)would have more time and the energy to go on equal footing at the work place.

None of this is anything new that hasn't be said, but just recently, it has really struck a cord in me in a personal way. I am just in awe of how great these women professionals are in their chosen professions.

More
12 years 11 months ago #24258 by sisriver
I see what you see AlternativeMD. thanks for voicing.
It can be done, yes. And admired.
But what I find is that there is elbowing to get to and stay in the choice positions, and mothers (me at least) are focused on their children, not on the strategies of elbowing. In fact, having (especially young) children, is a situation where the idea of racing and elbowing is all reconsidered - we learn to appreciate the slowness and backward direction life's daily routine can take (like living in molasses), to accept that for the sake of our children.

It is upsetting to me to think of the global force and net (monetary and power) worth of women compared to men, around the globe, with the current situation. Your suggestion is good.

More
12 years 11 months ago #24259 by rianah100
alternaiveMD,
You have said it right! That is exactly the same way I feel about the working world. I could not work like I used to (day and night) even :scratchchin: when I was trying to conceive. I also know friends that quit during their pregnancies. It is not a fair world we live in!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!