In 2003, there were over 225,000 (25.8%) women physicians in the US, up from 195,000 (24%) in 2000. In 1970 there were around only 25,000 (7.6%). In 2003-2004, there were 17,672 female medical school applicants (around 50.8% of total). In 2003-2004, there were 8,528 (49.8%) in the entering class and 32,146 (47.9%) enrolled in medical school. In the same year 7,343 (45.9% graduated medical school). In other countries, such as the UK, women medical students make up around 60% of the class. However, this growing number of women are still entering a predominantly male dominated profession. Issues such as childcare, balance, flexible schedules and maternity leave are still very much in early discussion. MomMD has grown as the number of women in medicine increases, the following resources have been established to assist women during this challenging career.
- Self-Development & Well-Being Center - Put Yourself First! Rejuvenate, Refresh, Stop Burn-Out and much more.
- Women in Medicine Survey Results
- Women in Medicine Survey DemographicsWomen in Medicine Survey Results Medical Students & Residents
- Women in Medicine Survey Results Women in MedicineWomen in Medicine Survey Results Career and Life SatisfactionThe Changing Face of Medicine - How will this affect the healthcare industry?
- Take the MomMD Women in Medicine SurveyFaces of Change, Voices of Inspiration - Latina Women in Medicine
- MomMD Manifesto for Change - Learn more about this exciting project for women in medicine.
- The Internet and New Opportunities for women in medicine.
- Career Resources & Articles
- Self Development & Discovery
- Resources just for medical Moms - health, breastfeeding, flexible work arrangements, and much more.
- Job Share Network - Find a physician job share partner.
- Job Share Articles - Information, advice and practical tips for job sharing.
- Kids View - How do kids view medical moms? Tribute to moms in medicine.
- Motherhood - When to start a family? During medical school? How will it affect a medical career?
- Motherhood - Breastfeeding and call. Successful breastfeeding while working.
- Education Resources & Articles
- Looking Back - An article reviewing the history of women in medicine by author, Eliza Lo Chin, MD.
- BlackOut at Bellevue - A physician describes life in a psychiatric hospital during the massive power outage of Aug 2003.
- The Road Now Taken (Part One) - One physician's story of her medical career.
- Meet moms and medical students Wendy Chamberlain and Mel Watkins.
- Woman of the Month Award - Celebrate women in medicine.
- What are the biggest challenges facing women in medicine?
- Recommended books about women in medicine.
Today's Women in Medicine
Balancing Career & Family
Challenges & Issues